The Rotterdam Student Orchestra was founded in 2011 by a group of enthusiastic students of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. Although there was an orchestra where students could apply (The Rotterdam Youth Symphony Orchestra), there was no real student orchestra. To change this, in co-operation with the association RJSO and help of the Erasmus University, we’ve worked hard to realise the birth on the 13th of February 2012.
Instruments of the RSO
The RSO has the ambition to become a full symphonic orchestra. We currently have place for;
- Violins, violas, celli and double basses
- 2 flutes, of which flutists who play the piccolo
- 2 oboe’s, of which oboists who play the cor anglais
- 2 clarinets, of which clarinettists who play E-flat clarinet and/or bass clarinet
- 2 bassoons, of which bassoonist who play the contrabassoon
- 4 french horns
- 2 trumpets
- 3 trombones
- 1 tuba
- 1 harp (depending on the music we play)
- 1 timpanist
- 3 percussionsts
The RSO is looking for string instruments, especially viola, celli and double bass. Also trombones, 1 bassoon, 1 oboe and percussionists are for sure welcome!
For whom is the RSO?
Students and young professionals in the age of 17 to 35 years old are welcome at the RSO. Not only is the RSO for students, also for fresh graduates from university and pupils from high school.
Every monday the orchestra rehearses from 19:30 to 22:00 (including a small break) in the Doopsgezinde Kerk, lead by Coen Huisman.
The repertoire of the RSO is versatile. Some composers that we play are Dvořák, Beethoven, Schumann, Von Weber, or Sibelius, Wagner. But also music from films/musicals from time to time.
Join the RSO
– We’re always looking for motivated students to play in a social orchestra.
– Come and have a look, don’t forget to bring your instrument!
– Rehearsals are every monday from 19:30-22:00 in the Doopsgezinde Kerk (Noordmolenwerf 3, 3011 AK Rotterdam).